Born and raised in southern China, Amy Luo obtained her Master's degree in European Film Studies at the University of Edinburgh and went on to further her research at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne. Since her graduation, Luo has been engaged with feature film projects, documentaries as well as news reportages both in China and abroad.
In 2015, Luo graduated from the General Studies program at the International Centre of Photography (ICP) in New York. Since then, her work has been exhibited and published internationally. It has also been cited with a number of awards including being placed as a finalist for Fine Art photography in the first edition of the Magnum Photography Awards in 2016.
Luo currently divides her time between New York City and Beijing working both in film production and also as a freelance photographer.
- Rita. K. Hillman Award of Excellence, International Center of Photography, 2015.
- Finalist in Fine Art Photography, Magnum Photography Awards, 2016
- First Place for Personal Work, Professional Category, Photo District News (PDN) Faces, 2017
- Student Spotlight, Lensculture Exposure Awards, 2017
- TOP 50 List, Critical Mass, Photolucida, U.S. 2017
- Winner, American Photography 33, 2017
- Winner, Portrait Salon Awards 2017, London
- Honorable Mention for Deeper Perspective, International Photography Awards, 2017
- Honorable Mention for Fine Art : Portrait, International Photography Awards, 2017
- Honorable Mention for Editorial : Photo Essay and Feature Story, International Photography Awards, 2017
Selected Publications and Press
- Lensculture, "Reconstructed Dream Portraits", 2016
- Magnum Photo, "Magnum Photography Awards 2016"
- Photograph Magazine, "The Dongting Lake People", by Elisabeth Biondi, 2017
- American Photography 33, 2017
- Xinhua News Agency, Beijing, "Interview With Amy Luo, the Only Chinese Winner of the 2016 Magnum Photography Awards", 2016
- People's Daily, Beijing, "Interview With Amy Luo, Magnum Photography Award Winner", 2016
- Nanfang Daily, Guangzhou, China, "Which Dreams Do You Identify With? Magnum Photography Award Winning Series "Dreams", 2016
- Ifeng.com, Hong Kong, "2016 Magnum Photography Awards", 2016
- Ifeng.com, Hong Kong, "Amy Luo's work on Tibetan Myths and Folklores", 2017
- "Tipping Point", Rita. K. Hillman Educational Gallery, ICP, NYC, 2015
- “#helloICP", ICP Museum, NYC, 2015
- "Portrait Salon Awards 2017", London, 2017
- "American Photography 33", NYC, 2017
- International Summer School of Photography Masterclass 2016/2017 Exhibition, Kuldiga, Latvia, 2017
- The 26th National Photographic Art Exhibition, Lishui, China, 2017
For additional information, please contact: